Nose Work classes are Monday evenings, Tuesday mornings, and Sunday evenings.
Are you looking for something new to do with your dog that will enable it to use its natural instincts and challenge it mentally? Do you have a reactive dog that isn’t ready to take part in group classes? Want to boost your dog’s confidence? Just want to have fun trying something new? Nose Work is the class for you and your dog!
All dogs love to sniff, search and hunt, regardless of size, shape or breed. Nose work is a win-win activity for both you and your dog. You’ll harness your dog’s “scentsability” dog with an opportunity to partner with you while doing something he or she naturally loves to do. As you work with your dog, you’ll learn how to read your dog’s body language, a valuable skill for understanding the way your dog communicates.
Nose Work class is structured so that only one dog is working at a time while the other dogs relax in their crates or cars. This gives the reactive or fearful dog an opportunity to tune into its handler in a safe, calm environment while doing an activity inherently satisfying to the dog. As students observe each other working, they learn handling and communication skills.
Equipment needed for Nose Work class:
- a harness or collar the dog will wear only when searching
- at least a six-foot nylon, leather or cotton lead
- lots of small aromatic treats (fish and meat based treats are the best).
- for home practice, beginning students will need a variety of 6 to 12 cardboard boxes
- intermediate students will need two or three metal tins with holes in the top; Altoid tins work well
Cost: Class is $165 for 1 hour for 6 weeks.